Best Hemorrhoid Treatment Available Over the Counter (Updated in August 2018)
- Best Hemorrhoid Treatment Available Over the Counter (Updated in August 2018)
- What is the Best Hemorrhoid Treatment Over the Counter?
- Over the Counter Medication for Hemorrhoids
- External Hemorrhoid Treatment
- Internal Hemorrhoid Treatment
- Best Over the Counter Hemorrhoid Cream
- Picking an Option
Hemorrhoids are tough to deal with and can be incredibly frustrating for those who suffer from this condition. The onset can be sudden too leaving you without the time to go to a doctor to find help.
Luckily there are a lot of over the counter treatments for hemorrhoids, treatments that can be very effective and that provide fast relief.
Some over the counter treatments can even cure your hemorrhoids, but it depends on your individual situation.
At the very least OTC meds for hemorrhoids will provide you with enough relief to seek help from a doctor, or to make the necessary lifestyle changes which will help solve your problems with hemorrhoids in the long run.
What is the Best Hemorrhoid Treatment Over the Counter?
Well, it depends. People can get hemorrhoids inside the anal canal, called internal hemorrhoids. Other sufferers find that they get hemorrhoids externally, near the opening of the anus.
All cases of hemorrhoids are caused by the same issue. Hemorrhoids are basically swollen veins. We have veins all over our body, including inside and outside the anus.
Veins can swell for different reasons, in the case of hemorrhoids it can be due to straining during bowel movements, for examples.
Finding the right treatment also depends on whether you want a permanent fix, a treatment that can cure your hemorrhoids, or whether you are just looking for some relief.
The best OTC hemorrhoid treatment for you will probably be the treatment that offers you the most immediate relief from symptoms as it is the symptoms of hemorrhoids that can be the most difficult to deal with.
Over the Counter Medication for Hemorrhoids
You have several choices when it comes to choosing a treatment that will work for you. Treatments work in different ways. We can broadly classify treatments as follows:
- Multi-ingredient products. Many hemorrhoid products available over the counter include a mix of ingredients that all work together to offer relief. These products focus on both reducing the actual prevalence of hemorrhoids and on reducing symptoms. Ingredients could include a combination of anti-inflammatories and numbing agents.
- Single ingredient products. Sometimes sufferers need to deal with a specific hemorrhoid-related issue. This could be pain, say, or it could be constipation. For them a focused product working by, say, reducing pain (anesthetic agents) could be a great option.
- Natural remedies. Not all of us are comfortable using pharmaceutical agents for our ills and pains. Luckily there are natural remedies for hemorrhoids, containing natural products that offer fast and effective relief to sufferers.
The great thing about the best over the counter hemorrhoid treatment for hemorrhoids is the fact that you can buy OTC treatment without going to a doctor.
In fact, you can buy many treatments online, without even visiting a pharmacy.
Naturally it is a good idea to discuss your problem with a professional. That said you may regularly experience a problem with hemorrhoids in which case quick access to OTC treatment can be a lifesaver.
External Hemorrhoid Treatment
Externally applied hemorrhoid treatment is available over the counter and can offer terrific results. Let’s look at some of the most popular products for external hemorrhoid treatment.
Tucks Medicated Pads
Thought hemorrhoid treatments only come in the shapes of ointments and creams? Tucks Medicated Cooling Pads may come as a surprise to you, but they are effective.
Applied externally to the area where you are experiencing hemorrhoids, Tucks will provide immediate relief to itching, burning and scratching sensations.
Tucks are great at soothing patches of outbreaks, giving you fast relief.
So what is it that makes Tucks work? It’s not quite witchcraft, but it is an ingredient called witch hazel.
Alright so we’ve explained what Tucks does. But is it a good product for you? Let’s look at the pros and cons.
- It’s a pad and not a cream
- Low price for a big box of 100 pads
- Gives you immediate relief
- Protects areas that are irritated
- Heals irritated and inflamed tissue
- Can only be applied externally, you cannot use Tucks for internal hemorrhoids
- Action might not be strong enough
So there you go, Tucks is a non-cream option which can help your hemorrhoids get better and which offers relief for symptoms.
Burt Bee’s Res-Q Ointment
Prefer a natural treatment? Want the best medicine for hemorrhoids over the counter that does not contain pharmaceutical compounds?
Try Burt’s Bees Res Q Ointment.
What is Burt’s Bees? It’s a brand you may be familiar with, Burt’s Bees has been providing ointments for all sorts of ailments for decades.
Burt’s Bees’ hemorrhoid treatment consists out of… well, a lot of stuff actually. Let’s list the ingredients:
- Olive fruit oil
- Cocoa seed butter
- Wheat germ oil
- Lavandin oil
- Sunflower seed oil
- Lavender flower extract
- Rosemary leaf extract
We’re not really sure how or why this combination of ingredients works so well but many users give the product rave reviews and say that it goes a long way in relieving their everyday symptoms. Pros and cons? Well:
- Available over the counter and online
- Natural product
- Heritage of Burt’s Bees
- Effective according to users
- No medical science backing up its efficacy
With Burt’s Bees there is no way to know whether it will work without trying it. If your symptoms are not too urgent, give it a go.
Internal Hemorrhoid Treatment
You can also buy internal hemorrhoid treatment, you can even buy pills for hemorrhoids over the counter which you use as a suppository.
Note that not every treatment that can be used externally can also be used internally, always make sure that the treatment you want to apply internally is designed to be used that way.
Let’s look at some treatments that are OK to use internally.
Preparation H Hemorrhoidal Ointment with Lidocaine
Need something that packs a powerful punch? Preparation H has been around for a long time and is packed with powerful ingredients to both relieve symptoms and to make sure your hemorrhoids heal more quickly.
You can use Preparation H both internally and externally. It is also really affordable, so a treatment you can keep on buying if you have ongoing problems with hemorrhoids.
But what makes Preparation H work so well? It’s the combination of ingredients, of which these are just two:
- Lidocaine. Provides a powerful anesthetic effect. Anesthetics reduce a lot of symptoms because it disables pain receptors. An area anesthetized with a topical agent such as Preparation H will itch less and be less painful.
- Phenylephrine. Another pharmaceutical agent, this compound provides a coating inside your anus that is protective. It means bowel movements cause less pain – and a lot of hemorrhoid suffers complain that bowel movements cause significant discomfort.
OK, chemicals may not be your idea of fun but if you suffer from hemorrhoids the mix of ingredients in Preparation H can work really well.
And no need to be overly worried, because Preparation H is available over the counter it is by implication safe enough for use without a prescription.
Considering Preparation H? We think these are the pros and cons of this OTC hemorrhoid treatment:
- For both external and internal use
- Provides quick relief
- Powerful ingredients
- Cheap to buy
- Needs re-application, it is not long-lasting
- Does not prevent hemorrhoids
- Can only be used for a few days
Made from medical grade plastic, Anuice is, in fact, a device and not a cream or ointment. It is made from a special plastic that is filled with a cooling agent.
It works like this: you put Anuice in the freezer for a few hours to cool the content. Once cold you gently insert it into your anus. It then functions to cool the hemorrhoids, relieving symptoms.
Basically, Anuice is an ice pack. Yes, it may work and it has the benefit of not containing any chemicals that can later harm your body in some way.
But is Anuice one of the best medicine for hemorrhoids over the counter? Well, it’s not really a medicine, but a device, right? Nonetheless, it has its pros and cons:
- No chemical ingredients
- No prescription required
- No mess no fuss, it’s not a cream
- Can provide quick relief
- Can be considered expensive
- No active ingredients
Anuice is worth a try but note that the lack of active ingredients means that though it may be good for relieving symptoms it will not do much to cure your hemorrhoids.
That said it is exactly the lack of active, pharmaceutical ingredients that will make it the best OTC hemorrhoid treatment for some people.
Best Over the Counter Hemorrhoid Cream
So, what’s really the best treatment out of the options we mentioned? What’s the best over the counter for hemorrhoids?
Like we said, it depends (we tested all the creams and ointments here) but we think this product is a great option and is a good place to start if you’re newly experiencing hemorrhoids and want fast relief. Let’s check out Mayinglong Musk Hemorrhoids Ointment.
Mayinglong Musk Hemorrhoids Ointment
Natural remedies are often popular, but not always very effective. So why does Mayinglong Musk Hemorrhoids Ointment come up as one of the most recommended products in online stores?
It’s the mix of the gentle effects of natural ingredients plus the potency of the ingredients that were selected to be included in this popular treatment.
You get plenty of stuff packed in a little package. Let’s look at the list of ingredients in this hemorrhoid treatment product:
- Vaseline for comfort
- Borneol to act as an anesthetic
- Pearl to reduce inflammation
- Bezoar for reasons we’re not sure about
- Lanolin to sooth
Clearly, you are getting a lot of useful compounds in just one cream. Even better, these compounds are not complex pharmaceuticals, they are all age-old natural ingredients.
To be fair, the lack of extremely potent chemical compounds may mean that Mayinglong Musk Hemorrhoids Ointment does not act potently enough for some sufferers.
But we recommend it as one of the best over the counter creams exactly because it is a natural product. It is a product that is unlikely to cause any side effects.
That’s why we think this cream is a good option, even if you just try it. If you find that Mayinglong does not offer sufficient relief you could try a different product.
So what is Mayinglong good for, and when should it be avoided?
- All natural ingredients
- Can provide fast relief
- Available without a prescription
- Cheap to buy
- Much liked by users
- No strong, potent ingredients
- Little research backing up its mix of ingredients
Picking an Option
Treating hemorrhoids is a highly personal matter. What works for one person might not work for you. You may also dislike creams and instead prefer pads or something like the Anuice.
To a fair degree finding the best OTC hemorrhoid treatment really relies on trial and error.
For most people, hemorrhoids are a recurring problem. Yes, you can reduce the frequency and intensity of your hemorrhoids through lifestyle changes, but they can often come back.
To manage hemorrhoids over the long term you should try different products and find out which work the best for you.
OTC meds for hemorrhoids can be highly effective but the degree of efficacy varies. Try a treatment and see how it works. Stop using it if it doesn’t work.
If you find a treatment that works well, you can still consider trying something different next time round.
We’ve outlined some top products but the key to ongoing successful treatment lies in experimenting.